It is well known that solid-state drives can read and write faster than mechanical hard drives. Nowadays, most machines use the SATA bus standard, and the actual maximum transmission is about 600MB/s. While supporting PCIe bus, the actual transmission speed of SSD, of NVMe protocol will exceed that of 1000MB/s. What exactly is NVMe? The following introduces you to some knowledge about NVMe SSD.
What is the NVMe?
- NVMe is a standard interface protocol for PCIe.
- All kinds of restrictions imposed by the old standards on SSD have been lifted.
- Support for all common operating systems.
- Good extensibility.
- It has the advantages of low latency, low energy consumption, high performance, and so on.
The Development History of NVMe
The NVMe1.0 standard was launched in March 2011 and was jointly developed by NVMe specification organization member companies (such as Intel, Dell, Samsung, Micron, etc.). Version 1.1 was launched in October 2012. After the release of version 1.2 in November 2014, nearly three years later, in May 2017, the NVMe specification organization officially released the latest version of the NVMe 1.3 specification standard. New features such as device self-test, boot partition, virtualization, host control and heat dissipation management have been added to the latest 1.3. theoretically, the performance of SSD can be greatly improved.
At present, the mainstream NVMe hard drives on the market adopt the 1.2 version of the specification standard.
The simply saying about NVMe
- Firstly, NVMe is an interface protocol, not an interface, the so-called protocol is a certain rule, such as different roads in life, can be regarded as different interfaces, if a highway runs according to the rules of the highway, then even the same road will be much faster than the ordinary highway that pedestrians, bicycles, and cars can take.
- Secondly, the NVMe standard is for PCI-E solid-state drives, how to understand this? we know that the processor of a computer is the core computing unit, and all program instructions are processed by the processor. PCI-E is equivalent to a green channel that directly deals with the processor, so the PCI-E solid-state disk is actually a solid-state disk that can deal directly with the processor, which means that the speed can be faster.
- Thirdly, in addition to the characteristics of the green channel on the highway, the NVMe also has an ultra-wide lane, which means that you can run more data on it at the same time, not only faster, but also more goods.
- Fourthly, in addition to the characteristics of the green channel on the highway, the NVMe also has an ultra-wide lane, which means that you can run more data on it at the same time, not only faster but also more goods. For tablets and notebooks, it can significantly improve the battery life of the battery.
Through the above introduction of NVMe, we all know what is NVMe, and what characteristics it has! I hope the sharing of this article will be helpful to all of you. Any queries, Please click CONTACT to let us have a discussion.